(0) Planner
Visitors Guide

Historic Truman Courthouse

  • 112 W Lexington
  • Independence, MO 64050
  • (816) 325-7111

The Courthouse History: Jackson County’s two-room log cabin courthouse was replaced in 1837 by a new building, which underwent six remodeling/expansion projects throughout the remainder of the 1800s and into the early 1900s. Portions of the original courthouse from the 19th century were “encapsulated” within the addition/restoration of the courthouse completed in 1933—under the supervision of Harry Truman, the then Presiding Judge of Jackson County. The Truman Courthouse has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places since 1972. September 7, 2013 marks 80 years to the day that Harry Truman rededicated the courthouse on Independence Square following the completion of the 1933 remodeling."